Is your family starting to get some cabin fever from being stuck indoors with the winter weather? Now might be a great time to sign up for a local class to get out of the house and encourage physical activity. There are a number of activities that help promote a child’s physical, emotional and social development available around the Portland area.
- Swimming: There are a number of indoor pools around the Portland Metro area. Swimming lessons are a great way to build confidence and develop safety in the water. Additionally, it provides children the opportunity to develop core and extremity strength while improving their bilateral coordination as the learn different strokes. Lessons aren’t needed – simply playing in a pool challenges kids in a way they may not be used to.
- Martial Arts: Martial arts provide a great opportunity to learn postural control, increase one’s strength, and improve coordination for all ages. There are a variety of types of martial arts and numerous places around the metro area that are willing to teach your young ones!
- Dance classes: Dancing is a fun, social way to work on motor planning, coordination, and postural control. There are music and dance classes from toddlers on up!
- Gymnastics: Another great social activity to work on strength, coordination and balance. Gaining mastery of one’s body through gymnastics is a great confidence booster. Plus, it provides great vestibular stimulation and lots of tumbling!
- Horseback riding: If you are fortunate enough to live near one of the many riding centers around the outskirts of Portland or have a family with horses, letting kids ride on horses is a great activity to promote good posture and core strength.